Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oh the places you will go...

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

-Dr. Seuss Oh! The Places You Will Go


Dear Matthew,

Ten years ago I was anxious, nervous, excited. It was the night before graduation. It didn't feel real, to know that high school was over. I'd never again wander the halls. Never smell the freshly mowed football field, or hear the bell signaling the end of another day.

How do you feel? Will you sleep tonight? Or will you lay, one arm under your head, staring up at the ceiling painting it with dreams of your future?

Because this is it my little brother. This is the beginning. Doors are opening day by day to a life filled with decisions and consequences. Hopes and fears. Mistakes and victories. I could give you loads of advice, but you wouldn't listen. I sure didn't. I knew it all. You know it all.

You will learn it all over again.

It hasn't been an easy road for you. Getting to this moment has taken heartache, hard work, a lot of fighting and a lot of worry (mostly for the parents) But you did it. And nothing, and no one can take this from you.

When you walk across that stage tomorrow, hold your head high. I have the waterproof mascara all ready, because I know I won't be able to stop the tears. I am so very proud of you, in a way that you may never know. But I am. And I can't believe this day is already here.

Congratulations!!

Love Always,

Sister

No comments: