Monday, June 28, 2010

Your last words to me were, "Hold my hand Tiff. Just hold my hand."

And I did, Granddaddy. I held your hand. Your body was smaller. Your mind just as sharp. Your eyes were closed. Your heart beat furiously.

I held your hand, and you squeezed it with the little strength you had left. And for the rest of my life, I will carry deep within my heart the feeling of your hand holding mine.

Thank you for teaching me to bait my own hook.
Thank you for teaching me to pick crabs.
Thank you for telling me that I had to work harder to be better than the boys.
Thank you for making me mad at times. It fueled me.
Thank you for my first car. God I loved that car.
Thank you for giving me my first boat ride. You instilled in me a love and respect for our waterways.
Thank you for challenging me.
Thank you for encouraging me to go to college.
Thank you for teaching me that people are difficult and worthy.
Thank you for teaching me how difficult I can be; how worthy I am.

Thank you for 27 years.

I truly believe that you and Senator Byrd are in the great beyond, discussing politics and policy.

You are truly in your glory now.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

And thanks from me for showing me that grandparents are incredibly important.

Cass said...

I'm so sorry Tiff! I know that there is alot of grief, but the memories do make you laugh, and it does get easier to smile instead of cry when you think of them. Just remember to love them like no ones business, because when they are gone, life gets a little more lonely. I lost all of my grandparents in an 18 month period, and now that they are all gone, holidays are very quiet, and I have no where to stop for random chats and interactions with them and my kids. My kids are missing out of some great people...just make sure when you have kids you keep him alive in their memories as well...my kids know them even though they never met 2 of them. Sending you lots of love, hugs and prayers for the next few days, and if you need to talk, I'm always here...I've been through it, and sometimes it's just nice to have an ear to listen, or a should to cry on....love ya!!!

Tiff said...

Ms. Moon - Grandparents always hold a little bit of magic for us kids (I'm 27,but was always a kid around my Grandad) We look up to you, want your approval and most importantly - we listen to you in a way we can't and won't listen to our parents. It sounds to me like you are on the right track with Owen. He will adore you always.

Cass- thank you. It's been hard. But I am blessed for the time we had. So sorry to hear about your losses- and so quickly. But this is the course of things. Ah well, he's watching over me in some way now!! Thanks