Saturday, July 17, 2010

A little practical magic

I was getting my nails done today, minding my own business. Running a mental checklist in my head of the three hundred things I had to get done in one short day. I need more time. I need more money. I. I. I. need. need. need. Greedy thoughts. Thoughts we all think. Normal thoughts.

But then the receptionist came in. And last time I saw her she had a rounded belly and dewy complexion.

But her stomach had shrunk and her eyes were ringed with dark circles.

"She was taken from me last week. They took her out of me because she couldn't survive inside any longer."

The words spilled from her like a dam shattering.

"She weighed one pound."

There are only a few things that really matter in life. The rest, is filler.

This mattered.

I sat and talked to her for a long time. "She's doing ok I think. The nurses are wonderful. They are optimistic she'll be home on October, probably the 8th, her 3 month birthday."

There is no such thing as coincidence. October 8th is my birthday. Her homecoming, my birthday. Links. Ties. Ribbons of life.

And we looked at pictures of her tiny, red faced and fierce.
"She's a fighter," I told the receptionist. "Look at those fists!"

Before I left, I gave her a hug and my promise to send all good thoughts their way for her continued health.

You can pour your energy into work.
You can choose to hate.
You can decide not to trust anyone.
You can run away from things when they get hard or don't go your way.
Or
You can pour your energy into life.
You can choose to love.
You can decide to trust until you have a reason not to.
You can stay. And fight. And try. And hope.


No comments: