Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Break-Up (minus Vince Vaughn & Jennifer Aniston...and the big budget)

So the Prince and I are no more. To some of my closest friends and family this came as a bit of a shock. But it had been a long time coming.

We met when we had both just turned 20. It was one of those chance meetings, a friend of a friend and we hit it off immediately. We had both just gotten out of intense, and damaging relationships and I belive he was somewhat of a rebound for me... a rebound that lasted almost six years. Oops.

The days turned into weeks, and then months and before I knew it, I had forgotten what brought us together in the first place. We stopped having fun. A lot changed in those years: we changed. I can honestly, and proudly say that I am not the same person I was six years ago. And though a small part of me mourns the loss of a very good friend, and the first true love of my life, what I feel now is an overwhelming sense of relief. A freedom that leaves me excited, hopeful, and extremely happy.

The break-up, and my decision to leave behind something that was safe and comfortable didn't rock my world. It didn't leave me a shattered version of myself. It strengthened my confidence, and my belief that who I am can't be defined by others, it comes from within and cannot be shaken. (this is the part where, if Oprah was here, we would totally high five.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the Break Up (movie) ended up being a lot less fun that i would have thought too... sort of funny at times, but mostly depressing