Saturday, July 26, 2008

Each other

Lately I've been finding myself inspired by people around me. I've heard some really interesting things, read some great articles, and watched people navigate complicated situations with patience and elegance.

For instance, there's a blog I regularly read http://www.damomma.com/ which chronicles the day to day life of a real mom. Her writing is beautiful, eloquent and gives me hope for the future children of America. Here's what she wrote recently that caught my eye:

"But you’ll never be any good if you only amble along, never aiming for best just so you don’t have to settle for good enough."

She wrote this in reference to her daughter who was trying to decide whether or not to take a chance on something. The post is beautiful, filled with wisdom and made me stop to think about the decisions I have made, am making, and will make.

With every opportunity comes risk. And with every risk we determine who we are and how we want to live. Some opportunities come disguised as challenges and it is up to us to see them for what they really are.

If we never risk anything, we'll never know what we are capable of. If we never try we will never succeed. If we never fail we'll never learn how to do so with grace. And what's important is that we are there for the ones we love and we allow them to be there for us. Because in the words of DaMomma:

“If you want to go for blue, I’m right there with you,” I say. “I’ll make sure you have what you need, I’ll help you eat right and be rested, and get lots of practice, and I’ll scream my heart out for you in the stands. We’ll put blue ribbons in your hair for luck. But hear me now — if you fall off that horse, pee yourself, pick your nose and cry in front of the judges, I will still be so freaking proud of you for getting in there.”

No comments: