Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I crouched down, eye level.
"They are so small," I thought.
They reached out their tiny hands and each placed a kernel of popcorn in my palm.
"I don't like popcorn," I thought.
But it didn't matter.
Face to face with two sets of pleading brown eyes I ate the popcorn.
"Mmmmm," I said.
They giggled and ran circles around me.
Later on we played ring around the rosy, talked a little Dora the Explorer, and they colored pictures for me.
"Dis is a cow. Moooooo!"
"Dis is a wainbow. Pwetty!"
"Beautiful," I said, meaning it.

The phones rang, I answered. FedEx and UPS made their deliveries, and I signed for them. Hands were washed and tears dried, and a few loose ends tied up. At the end of the day I sat back in my chair, kicked off my shoes and surveyed the chaos around me and felt completely content. I guess someday I'll be able to handle this whole "mom" thing. Just not yet...

No comments: