Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh deer....

I was singing along to Leona Lewis this morning, driving down a back road near my Dad's house when the blue truck in front of me slammed on his brakes. His windshield exploded. Glass mixed with raindrops and showered to the ground. He was too late. His truck had already hit the deer and run over it. I stopped just short. I shut off my engine, opened my door and started to walk over to the man in the blue truck. The rain fell hard and sideways.The air smelled like burning rubber and blood. The deer convulsed on the ground and I felt tears spring to my eyes. Cars stacked up in a curving line on the two lane road, horns blaring. They couldn't see what I saw, what we saw.

A large, male deer, dying. A man climbing gingerly out of a blue truck face covered in shards of glass. Blood everywhere. And the shock that follows an accident.

Two guys pulled up in a black, suv and whisked me back to my car.

You don't need to see this.

Tears streamed down my face as I climbed back into my car, watching them go into action. An arm went around the man in the blue truck. The police were called. Traffic weaved through the narrow road, and as I drove away I was once again stunned by the kindess of strangers just doing the right thing.

1 comment:

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville said...

Oh geez... I fear this happening to me.

Not because of my car. But because of the deer. Does that make me odd?

I really believe that the kindness of strangers extends far deeper than people assume. For that, I'm always grateful.