Thursday, December 24, 2009

Joy Joy Joy

It's hard not to feel giddy today. The presents are wrapped so prettily. I'm working but it's a short day. The snow is just in piles everywhere and I can't remember the last time we had a white Christmas here in Maryland. My brother is here, home from the Marines and that is good. That is really good. Some Marines didn't get to come home. Some Marines never will. So this is good, this is really good.

I went out last night after work, to do the last of the Christmas errands. I went to a few stores and was in such a good mood that everything went my way. Parking spaces magically opened up, I got some things for way less than I expected and suddenly in front of me would appear a sweet, kind faced checker saying, "Ma'am I can sneak you in right here." And that was good too.

I fell into bed last night, exhausted. I'm sure a lot of us did.

And everyone keeps saying, "Remember the true spirit of Christmas" and I know what they mean, but what does it mean to me? I used to attend church as I've said before. I'd sit in the pew, and then kneel and so on. I'd accept the "Body of Christ" and drink the "Blood of Christ" but the whole time I'd be looking at the stained glass windows, how they lit with some sort of magic every time I glanced their way. The scenes of Jesus and Mary and the sheep and shepherds. They were lovely windows all green and blue and red and yellow. And before I knew it I'd missed the service and we were filing out of the church fastening coats and donning gloves. And then life would continue. "Did you do your homework?" "What should we have for dinner?"

Church for me was never anything more than an errand. I didn't feel it. I still don't.

But I do feel holiness and reverence. I feel divinity residing within me. But it's not inside of a Church's walls. And it's not just at Christmas. And the spirit, the true spirit of this holiday season isn't about the birth of a savior. It is about family and giving of yourself to others. Christmas is a time to say, "Hey this is a good life. I appreciate it. I appreciate you."

I feel God. I feel the spirit. I know that something special exists always, and maybe a little extra these next few days.

So Merry Christmas to you all. To Africa, to Canada, to Kentucky, to Florida, to Connecticut, to Texas, to Australia and everywhere. May you and yours love and live and laugh this day and always.




PS- I will have re-runs on the site until Monday.

3 comments:

Cass said...

Merry Christmas Tiff!!! I hope that Chris comes home safe, and soon! Have a wonderful Holiday weekend with all of your family!!

Tiff said...

Thanks Cass!! You too :) Enjoy those kiddos.

Ms. Moon said...

And to you- beautiful post and I hope today is a good one.