Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oh Shit. I forgot to be good.

My mama has this big, white pin that she puts out every year with the other decorations, and that's exactly what it says. And that about sums it up for us, every year.

Also, Oh Shit, tomorrow is Christmas (Eve) And I'm not done shopping. Or wrapping. Or getting my stuff together for the wedding. Or losing those last 10 pounds. Or resting. Or cleaning.

OR I could drink a huge something yummy and watch a cheesy movie and lose myself in the big bed and all the pillows.

But no. I will commercialize the shit out of this Christmas. I will say, wow, look at these prices and toss things into a cart. I will wrap with dollar store paper and bows and ribbons. I will package up the cookies I made with my own two hands.

I will talk to cute boyfriend on the phone because he is 3,000 miles away.
I will visit my grandparents on Christmas Eve, and get to see my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins that I rarely get to see because have you noticed? The world moves too fast and we are all too busy.
I will wake up Christmas morning and go for a run and look at the snow that may be with us until Groundhogs day.
I will get ready and make the drive down to my Mama's house to be greeted by the smell of whatever she has cooking and see that the windows are foggy and the tree is lit and the presents are set out neatly.
I will drink coffee and wake up the littlest brother by jumping on his bed and proclaiming, "It's Christmas! It's Christmas! Santa was here!!" And he will roll his eyes and pull the covers over his head and grumble, "Tiiiiiiiff, stoopppp iiiiit."

But he'll pull the blanket down, smile at me, batting those so long eyelashes as he says, "So what did you get me?"

We'll gather around the tree with cookies and milk and look at the sun glinting off the water as the first present is opened. And then, it will be Christmas.

1 comment:

Ms. Moon said...

Enjoy- whatever you do, enjoy.