Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It wasn't my house

The house on the hill finally sold. The one with the brick front and view of the fields. The house that sat empty for so long with the sign in the front yard so that when I'd pass by I'd imagine what if.

If that was my house I'd plant red and purple flowers. The grass would grow tall and green. The windows would sparkle and shine with the sunrise. At Christmas time a warm fire would crackle and send plumes of smoke into the evening air. Twinkly lights would line the eaves and a wreath of evergreen and cranberries would say welcome to friends and family on the front step.

The house on the hill sold. But not to me. It was never meant to be my house. But I'm glad it has a family now. Glad that little feet will trod down the hardwood hallway and delight in presents under a tree. Glad that wrapping paper will litter the floor and cookies will bake in the oven.

Every house needs a family. Every house wants to be warm and wrap around us as we sleep. Every family needs a house to. A place to set your worries at the door. A place to pull up a chair and settle down. Every family needs a place to simply be.

Every person needs a family. To give the brightly wrapped packages. To eat the turkey, or ham, or lobster. To remember those family jokes, those memories, those remember when moments. Every person needs a family. Every family needs a home.

And that wasn't my house. That wasn't my home. But it's theirs. And I'm so happy they found each other; that family, and that house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Empty houses look so forlorn. They do need filling with children,with laughter, with tears. I think that houses keep memories locked in there rooms, and walls, memories of other families who have resided there.

Steph(anie) said...

This was very moving. It hurt a little, the idea of letting that fantasy go.

Tiff said...

Technogran- I totally agree.

Steph- It would be more sad, but I have a beautiful home with the man I love and one day I'll have my chimney and pitter patter of little feet too :)