Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Cute Boyfriend!

A year ago, you were out in D.C. celebrating your birthday when a friend of mine happened to snap a picture with you in it. Two groups of people were in the same place celebrating different birthdays. A group of friends met up with another group of friends. It wasn't completely planned. It wasn't completely random. Your friend knew my friend. They saw each other across the bar and reconnected.

I was on vacation in Connecticut so I didn't meet you that night. But our friends strung an invisible thread that started bringing us together.

I came home from my trip, hugged my best friend and sat down on the couch. As Natalie and I scrolled through her pictures on the computer, she told me about the expensive drinks and glittery lights of her night in the city. We laughed at the funny dancing people and silly faces. And then, there you were. In a striped shirt holding a drink , and I caught my breath. She moved on to the next picture. "Wait!" I said. "Who is that?" She thought your name was Chris. Maybe you were a cop, she said. A friend of a guy she knew.

"I want to meet him." I said.

And just putting that out there tightened that invisible string and we were one step closer.

I will save the rest of the story for our Anniversary (March 7th) But your birthday is the reason we are together. Right place, right time? Fate? Who knows. But I sure am glad you were born.

You're sleeping in right now. And that's a great way to start a birthday. I love you Chris.

I love you when you are stubborn and I throw my hands up in exasperation and you smile and pull me close.
I love you when your job takes you far and I get a text saying "good morning love".
I love you when you cook and say, "BAM!" and pretend you're on a cooking show.
I love you when you skate down the ice with power and purpose.
I love you when you leave your clothes on the bathroom floor....every day.
I love you when you reach for my hand in a crowded place.
I love you when you dance with me in the kitchen.
I love you when we think the same thing and just burst out laughing.
I love you when go with me to Target and turn an errand into a date.

You are a wonderful man and I am thankful for you every day I have you in my life. I hope you have a great birthday. I love you!

(now can we have waffles?)

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Happy Birthday to Chris and what a beautiful love-letter you have written him.
Y'all enjoy the magic.

Cass said...

Happy Birthday Chris!! Amazing Tiff..hold on to it with every fiber in your being...it's the best ever! P.S. we also turn trips to the store into dates..sometimes it's the only time away without kids..doing what we can:)